Maybe Mary DIDN'T Know

I don’t know if this is a new trend this year or what, but all of a sudden, I keep hearing people pontificate about the song, “Mary, Did You Know.” As in, they're downright offended by the thing. “Of course, she knew all that!” they say. “Haven’t you read your Bible? This song is so messed up.” Some Facebook friend of mine posted a video of a woman portraying Mary, singing her response: “Yes, I frickin’ knew . . .!”

Oh, come ON, people.

First of all, the song is beautiful. Let the world enjoy a beautiful piece of music. All the mindless claptrap out there playing on the Christmas stations . . . at least this one is proclaiming truths about who Jesus is.

But more than that, I don’t have any issue with the lyrics. Scripture is pretty clear that for a long time, even Jesus’ disciples didn’t really understand who he was and what he came for – certainly not that he was “Lord of all creation” and “heaven’s perfect Lamb” and “the great I Am”. Yes, Mary knew this baby was something supernatural and special and that he would be the Messiah, but that doesn’t mean she understood the full extent of what that meant any more than the rest of the Jewish people did.

In Sunday School last week, we read the Luke 2 Christmas passage looking for anything that jumped out to us as new. (And frankly, after so many years of trying to find different angles on the story to write my own Christmas scripts about, there wasn’t much new for me there, to be honest.)

But the part of the story that has resonated with me this week is at the end (v.19) where Mary “pondered these things in her heart.” Of course, she did. I mean, there was a lot to ponder, yes? 

Why here? Why now? Why did I have to have this baby so far from home and family and every support system I have? Wait, maybe one of the prophets said something about Bethlehem . . . that sounds kind of familiar . . . but shepherds? Why in the world would the Lord send angels to shepherds? Nobody’s going to believe them! Doesn’t he want people to know who this baby is? Seriously – shepherds?!?

So, she pondered. And mothered. And pondered a lot more. And she kept all these ruminations and emotions as treasures in her heart . . . until the day when they would all come together and make sense.

I know there are some who put Mary on a divine pedestal, but I don’t see scriptural basis for that. I don’t think she was sinless. I don’t think she is a divinity for us to pray to. Yes, she was an amazing young woman and definitely a role model, but only because she WASN’T sinless or divine: she was just a teenage girl who loved God and made the decision to trust and obey, whether she understood or not.

I want to be like Mary.

There is so much I don’t understand. So much I thought I understood at one time and question now – so much I never understood and ignored out of fear of what untethered doubt might do to my faith. But I’m learning to let go of the need for certainty. I don’t have to know what God is doing to know God. And I exist to know God. That relationship drives everything else.

So, I’m spending Christmas this year playing the role of Mary. Obeying. Trusting. And pondering these things in my heart.

Comments

  1. Beautiful, as always! Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Merry Christmas to you! (Whoever you are, friend!)

      Delete
  2. I’m behind just a little on your posts but this was amazing. There are things I KNOW but do I actually know it or just have knowledge of it. Can’t imagine being a young teenage girl and being told all those things. As an old lady there are times I can’t understand what I know. Pondering is not a word we hear often but I’m sure we all do it often. Gwen thank you for sharing your pondering with us. Keep them coming. You give me some more things to ponder!!! Love this! ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION