An Example To Follow

I got to my online Bible study late because of another meeting, so I missed the bulk of the discussion. But it was clear from what the other women were saying that the general opinion of the Abraham-sacrificing-Isaac story (Genesis 22) was that Abraham did this with no hesitations. No questions. No doubting. He KNEW God would raise him from the dead again. Wow! What amazing faith he had! Oo! Ah! What a great example for us to follow!

I got there late, so I kept my mouth shut. But Lord have mercy -- I could not get on board with this.


For one thing, the idea that Abraham didn't question this? Are you kidding me? That's inconceivable. God was asking him to tie his son to an altar and put a knife through his heart. You're telling me he didn't even ask if he heard that correctly? That he didn't yell at God a while? Didn't argue what an insane command that was? Didn't come back with alternatives? Didn't cry at the mental image of what he was being asked to do?

Of COURSE, he did. 

Yes, I know the Bible doesn't specifically say anything about him struggling with the command. But there are LOTS of things the Bible doesn't tell us -- because we don't need to know those things. The Bible is a pretty massive tome, but it does seem to employ an economy of words at times. It says what we need to hear, and leaves out stuff we don't. And when stuff is repeated (sometimes over and over and over . . . ), that's a good sign that we need to pay attention.

Maybe we don't need to know his state of mind. The point being made here is that Abraham obeyed.

But more than that: I don't agree that an Abraham who doesn't question a bizarre command like this from God is a good example for us. Well, not for me. Because that kind of faith, for me, is simply unattainable. And I'm not even certain that I would call it faith.

It's kind of like defining courage. Courage doesn't mean you do a terrifying thing without fear -- because if you aren't afraid, then it doesn't require courage.

If Abraham really packed up his son and knife and headed to Mount Moriah without any hesitations, that is less impressive to me than if he struggled with the act. Because that means obedience was easy. But if he fought . . . cried . . . rationalized . . . raged . . . wailed . . . groaned . . . and then STILL packed up his son and his knife . . . that's amazing faith. That's remarkable obedience. 

And that's an example for me to follow.

Comments

  1. I think we can be pretty sure, based on the testimony of the author of Hebrews, that Abraham's act required amazing faith, which is why it is still noted. I also note that in the sacrifice narrative, Abraham tells his household that he AND Isaac will return in 3 days. We don't know what was in his mind when we said this, but it is interesting that the author records it.

    My mother (which I lost to cancer a year ago) was a big one for correct doctrine. I have more formal training in scripture, but she had more memorized and under her belt. We concurred with my assertion that the collection of texts we commonly call the Bible is not a 'How-To manual for life on Earth." My assertion is that it contains everything necessary to know the character of God, and the details required for faith in Jesus as propitiation for our sins. Beyond those items, be careful how you swing it around in the culture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION