The Desire Is Enough

 I’ve been legally divorced for just over a year. The actual process of divorce took almost a year as well, and the decision to divorce was weighing on me for another year before that. Three years, friends. Three years with about a million and a half decisions I had to make.

Some of those decisions were immensely consequential (Is it time to file – am I sure I’m done?). Some were relatively trivial but still exhausting (Which dishes do I keep? Curtains in the bedroom or just blinds? Buy new socks or sew up the holes in the ones I have?). But the accumulation of choice after choice after stinkin’ choice made every choice on the table terribly difficult.

By the end of 2020, I was so done. I was ready to fake insanity and let the state take care of me.

Of course, all these decisions wouldn’t have been nearly as hard if I wasn’t so concerned with making the right decisions. Because I believed that there was always a right choice and a wrong choice – that God had one direction he wanted me to go, and that his way would, of course, be the best way for me if I could just figure out where the heck that way was . . .

Maybe this is an unfortunate legacy of growing up in the modern church, you know? This desperate struggle to always do the right thing – and the corresponding feeling that you are always failing miserably. Always letting people down. Always disappointing God.

That’s exhausting, too.

A couple weeks ago, while listening to Pastor Garrett preach online, I had to write down a quote he mentioned from Thomas Merton:

“I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.”

Sob . . . 

TELL me this is true, Lord.

I want to please you. You know I do. I want to do all this right. The teaching, the parenting, the relationships, the starting over . . . all of it. But unless you plan on sending me a personal email with very detailed instructions, I’m gonna screw something up here. It’s inevitable. I’m going to disappoint you.

And let’s be honest: even if I got that email, I’d still screw up, and we both know it. Because I’m WEAK. I’m small and tired and nothing is easy and all the good is hard and I can’t do even one darn good thing that you don’t do through me.  

You know my heart, Lord. I want to make you happy. Please tell me that, at least sometimes, that’s enough.

Three years ago, when this all started, God thrust this verse conspicuously into my face: Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” (Is 30:21)

I read those words every morning for many weeks to remind myself to keep walking. I can’t just stand still and fret. I have to pick a direction and go. It’s okay if I pick the wrong way; that’s when I’ll hear his voice: “Turn around, baby. Look here. This is the way . . . walk in it.” Then he holds my hand while I turn around.

And yes – just walking and listening and wanting to please him . . . sometimes, that’s enough.

Comments

  1. Gwen, your blog breaks my heart with it's sincerity and truth. But the deepest spiritual truth I have learned over the last ten years is that when My heart breaks open, it can then be refilled even more. Yes, wanting to please God is pleasing to God. What a brilliant truth...simple enough to be missed frequently. I take heart that sin is translated in Greek as "Missing the Mark" as with an arrow off target. and that means that the translation of ....oh doggone it...having a brain injury aphasia moement and can't remember the word that starts with R that is what we do when we "turn around" after missing the mark. blimey. anyway, you will know what i mean. What I am trying to say is that missing the mark and needing to turn around is natural and we are totally beloved while doing it. You are a beloved child of a Creator, made in the very image of God. I'll stop blathing now that I've reminded you of that. Take Good Care.
    Sherrill

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION