Defining Rest

Last week was my first week off of school. Yes, I know that’s really early compared to most of the rest of you. Don’t hate me because I have a sweet job.

Last week was also the first week in several months that I did NOT drug myself to sleep any night. I decided that, now that I had no place I had to be by a certain time every day, I could afford to risk some sleepless nights in the process of detoxing my body of antidepressants and sleep medication.

All to say that REST was a significant theme for my week. And all the more significant after listening (twice) to a podcast my daughter did on the topic. (The “You’re Cool With Me” podcast from FeatherTree Arts. Click here to watch that episode, or check it out wherever YOU listen to podcasts!)

So, the question of the day is, what exactly qualifies as “Rest”? I think we would all agree that we require it on a regular basis, but how exactly do we define this thing that we know we need? Is it sleep? Is it merely physical inactivity? Is it a mental lack of stress? Can we be resting while we work? Can we be lying motionless, physically relaxed, and still not really be at rest?

On the one hand, I would say I got a lot of rest last week. My days were flexible, and free time was plentiful. I got up when my body was ready as opposed to when an alarm woke me. I did a lot of reading, watched a lot of episodes of Northern Exposure (my latest binge), sat outside a lot. In general, I did things that I wanted to do and did them when I wanted to do them . . . which was relaxing.

On the other hand, I also got a lot of work done – because it turned out that was one of the things I wanted to do. I have a long list of schoolwork to complete this summer. (That idea that teachers have three months off in June, July, and August? Malarkey.) I specifically scheduled several hours a day to complete specific tasks on my list and accomplished a great deal – and because this was work that I find inherently satisfying, that was “restful” as well, in a sense.

On the imaginary third hand, however, I was also waking up a lot at night (thanks to the sleep med detox). Less than I would have expected after going cold turkey on the temazepam and Unisom, but still at least every two or three hours. I didn’t get a full night’s sleep once all week. Nevertheless, I never needed a nap during the day, amazingly enough, even though I was fully prepared and expecting to doze off and on as the week progressed. Apparently, I somehow managed to get the slumber I needed.

So, did I rest last week or not? Hmmm. I slept – kind of. I worked – kind of. It felt restful . . . but I doubt that it looked restful to an objective viewer . . .

I wish I could remember where I saw this so I could give the source full credit, but a couple days after listening to my girl’s podcast, while I was still pondering the ideas discussed therein, I read somewhere somebody defining rest as “the laying down of burdens.”

And oh . . . that’s good. And I think that explains my week.

Yes, I got up early every morning and set about my day immediately . . . but without the burden of accommodating a schedule set by someone else.

Yes, I got a lot of work done . . . but without the burden of meeting any imminent deadlines.

Of course, I went to bed every night . . . but without the burden of needing to get eight full hours of sleep so I could function the next day.

And without those burdens, I was not only more productive (at schoolwork) and more successful (at sleeping) but more joyful in the midst of it all. I FELT rested -- and that seemed to have little to do with what I was doing or not doing. It had more to do with my attitude toward what I was doing and not doing.

I believe I may have made an important discovery here. Rest = laying down burdens. And being genuinely rested makes everything better.

Now, the trick is figuring out how to continue in this state of rest when the deadlines come again, and the schedule kicks in again, and the sleep becomes more critical again. That is, how do I do the things that are essential parts of my life without those things becoming burdensome?

“Come to me,” Jesus said, “all of you who are burdened and heavy-laden. I will give you rest.” That’s what he said. He wants to carry the burdens. He wants to give me rest.

Jesus, we both know the heaviness will return. Teach me how to place the weight in your waiting hands.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION