Rest-olutions

Ann-Margret gave me the idea. In her regular weekly email I subscribe to, she shared with us that this year, she was making resolutions that were doable and enjoyable. “Use more stickers.” “Bake more cookies (and then give them away).” Things that were easy to accomplish and that would add joy to her life.

Oh, I like that idea. I am a Planner to the core of my being. I set goals, make lists and charts, with sub-lists and outlines . . . New Year’s resolutions are right in my wheelhouse. But she’s right that those kinds of resolutions often start feeling like the critical schoolmarm, shaking her finger at you about all the ways you are failing and how you need to whip yourself into shape.

My shape does indeed need some whippin’ in a few areas. However, I am actually more likely to act without the necessary enforcement of the whip if I’m in a rested, joyful state to begin with. I can pass up the extra dessert if I don’t feel like I need it to boost my sagging energy a bit. I can tackle that perennial to-do list more enthusiastically if I have more positive energy happening. So, committing to do things that will add joy to my life and other lives is a great idea on many levels.

I think I will call them "REST-olutions." Sure. That works.

So, here are some of my rest-olutions for the year.

* Wear the warm, fuzzy slippers a student gave me for Christmas when I’m at home.

* Ask the names of people who are waiting on my table at a restaurant and use their names with a smile.

* Look people in the eyes when I am talking to them – and even more so when I am listening to them.

* Light candles in my house more often.

* Adjust my to-do lists: a few things that have to get done today, and then other things that I could get done if I feel inclined.

* Catch myself when I find my mind racing needlessly and stop to be mindful of beautiful things around me.

* Say “I love you” to God more often.

Some friends and I were talking the other day about how much we base our personal value on our productivity. If I don’t get stuff done, I feel . . . I don’t know . . . shame is too strong a word, I think. I feel lazy. And laziness is a dirty word for some reason, even if it’s only a temporary state. It makes me less-than.

There’s nothing wrong with being productive. But there is something wrong with my centering my identity and self-worth on my daily -- or yearly -- accomplishments.

Maybe I can combat that habitual thought with my rest-olutions. I got three important things done today in my fuzzy slippers with the candle burning . . . and I loved on God several times. I also paused a moment to notice and appreciate the rich red shade of my living room curtains. That’s a stinkin’ good day, I’d say.

Happy New Year, friends. Make it a restful and joyful one!

Comments

  1. Love the REST part. It’s time to learn to love ourselves and give Him the glory for being in the position to do that!!! Who knows what the future will bring and we may need to replenish our souls with His perfect peace and rest before a new day dawns!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION