Our One-Anothers

I sent a text message to some teachers on my team asking their opinion on something, and in my text, I happened to use the word “begrudge”. And suddenly, I wasn’t sure I had used it correctly – and I told them so. Here’s the conversation that ensued:

JoAnne: “To give reluctantly or resentfully.” I looked it up.

Me: LOL! I did, too. Still unsure . . . it sounds right in the sentence, but not sure the definition fits my use of it.

JoAnne: You don’t resent her for asking.

Courtney: Webster’s also says “to regard with envy or discontent” and “to regard disapprovingly,” so I think you nailed it. Also, this is the only text thread on my phone that causes me to consult my dictionary at 7:56am, and I love it!

Maureen: And “begrudge” is the right answer!!! (Why do I feel like I should be giving away a trip to Hawaii?)

Y’all. I LOVE MY PEOPLE.

I don’t know how I could do life without my people.

Since I turned 21 and officially became an adult, I have lived in seven different cities in five different states. Each of those stages of life had its own blessings, sorrows, joys, and trials. And in each of those stages and places, God graciously brought me dear friends to walk with me through it all.

In Hutchinson, I had teacher friends who were passionate about our profession and affirmed the value of my work.

In Springfield, I had women who could stop life at a moment’s notice to listen to me and pray.

In New Jersey, I had fellow mamas who griped and cried and laughed and cleaned up messes and looked for God with me.

In Sioux City, I had people who saw some leadership ability in me, asked me to head up some ministries, and then ministered at my side.

And in Texas, I have . . . well, all of the above.

I really, really don’t understand how anyone does life without a tribe.

When the divorce happened, I was very nervous about living life on my own. And it’s still not my preference; I still miss sharing my life with someone. But I’m not alone. I’m part of a community – in person, online, over the phone – pairs, small groups, large groups -- asking about each other’s days, listening to each other’s complaints, recommending books, laughing at each other’s mishaps, sharing our histories, dreaming for our futures, praying over our kids, building each other up.

When I teach all the pronoun types to my eighth graders, I include reciprocal pronouns, which are not standard content in most middle school grammar curriculums (or maybe any grammar curriculum). There are only two reciprocal pronouns, and they both consist of two words: “each other” and “one another”. They are used to express a mutual action or relationship.

And I include them specifically because I teach in a Christian school, and I believe they represent a very biblical concept. Being the church is all about “one another-ing”. I believe the Greek word is allelon – used 100 times in the New Testament, according to my Strong’s Concordance. “Pray for one another . . . serve one another . . . instruct one another . . . forgive one another . . . live in harmony with one another . . .”

Here’s one that I would add: “treasure one another”. Because your one-anothers are more precious than gold.

Comments

  1. Great message today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely message. It was excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION