Were Not Our Hearts Burning?

[Resurrection Station #2 – Luke 24]

“Were not our hearts burning within us?”

Three days after the crucifixion of the man they had hoped would be “the one to redeem Israel,” Cleopas and his friend met that crucified man walking with them on the road to Emmaus. And again, they didn’t recognize him.

And again, I try to give them some grace about that, just like I give Mary. Some people believe that Jesus’ resurrected body was somehow different enough from his original that he wasn’t easily recognizable at first. And I can see that. I’ve often wondered what the new and perfect version of my body will look like – what age? What weight? What “flaws” will be gone? Maybe Jesus’ new face was missing scars from childhood accidents and wrinkles from sun damage. Maybe he fell and broke his nose at some point . . . and the nose on his new body was unbroken and didn’t look the same.

I mean . . . why not? It’s possible. In any case . . .

After hearing the men’s version of recent events, Jesus takes them to Hebrew school, “opening the scripture to them.” That’s how they describe it later when they realize who their travel companion was and remark that while he talked, “were not our hearts burning within us?”

The Living Bible and a couple others say their “hearts felt strangely warm”. (My Methodist friends will hear echoes of John Wesley here.)

The Message words it thus: “Didn’t we feel on fire?” On fire.

When was the last time the words of scripture set your heart on fire?

In 1997, I was living in Springfield, Missouri, with a new baby and my life crashing to pieces around me. I had started attending Bible Study Fellowship, absolutely RAVENOUS for the Word, and I was praying desperately, usually writing out my prayers so that my agitated brain would stay focused and so I could look back again and see when he answered me (which he did often).

One morning, in a moment of quiet despair, I wrote this prayer: “Lord, do you want me to just forget about the past and focus on this new thing you’re doing?” I cried a bit and then put my prayer journal away to head to a BSF seminar. About twenty minutes into her teaching, the BSF leader pointed us to this passage in Isaiah which was new to me, and which stopped me dead in my tracks:

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing. Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. (Isaiah 43:18-19)

I sat and stared for a few minutes. And my heart burned within me.

God has brought those verses from Isaiah back in my life so many times – usually at desperate, painful moments when I most needed to know he was still there, still loving me, still in control. In an app on my phone, out of nowhere. The “verse of the day” on KLOVE over the car radio. In the middle of a sermon, displayed in huge print on the wall (and with no apparent connection to anything else the pastor was talking about that day).

And every time, my heart felt strangely warm.

Last spring, when our church opened back up for live services, somebody had made banners for the sanctuary with those words plastered on them: “See, I am doing a new thing”. And our worship pastor had written a song that we sang every Sunday for several months: “God is doing something new . . .”

And yes, people, I left those services on fire.

There have been other passages of scripture God has brought to me at specific times for specific purposes. But see, here’s the most interesting thing about these occasions: I wasn’t necessarily expecting God to speak to me at the time. It's not like I had a difficult decision to make or a burning question on my mind that I was looking for answers to. I was just reading the Bible . . . going through my routine . . . living my day . . .

Just walking to Emmaus, and Jesus showed up to open the scripture to me.

My task for this week of Eastertide: recommit to being in the Word. Regularly. All the time. Just make it life. Lord, thank you for your Word . . . and thank you that you keep showing up with it.


[Did you mis R-Station #1? Read it here.]

[Ready for the next one? Here's R-Station #3.]

["What's a Resurrection Station?" you ask? Glad you did. Click here.]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION