Dogs and Cats and the Godlessness of the Straight Line

I read a book last year called Dog and Cat Theology. You cat-lovers would probably throw this book against a wall, annoyed at the stereotypical depiction of the loving submission of dogs and the arrogant attitude of cats. “Dogs have masters; cats have staff.” (Seriously, though – that’s funny. Right?) The picture drawn is a bit simplistic (one of my critiques of the book), but the distinction the authors make is valid.

Dog theologians, they claim, are those who put God at the center of all things . . . much like a dog treats his master. Cat theologians, on the other hand, put themselves at the center, in practice if not in profession. God exists to make me happy. God is there to ensure my life goes smoothly, that the world runs fairly, and that right always wins – when I’m right, at least. When everything seems to be going to hell, dog theologians assume God is right and they are wrong. Cat theologians, on the other hand, assume they are right and God is screwing up.

I mainly bring this up because it relates to a startling quote my guy shared with me referring to the “godlessness of the straight line.” These imaginary ideals that we hold (this is what is fair, this is the only right way to go) – they are not just unreality: they are godless. They are creations from a Cat Theology that assumes we know what’s right and what’s wrong.

Wisdom defies the godlessness of our imaginary ideals, which hold powerful sway over our existence. The legalist wears himself out fighting against God and, if he were brave enough to admit it, is outraged that God is apparently unable to draw straight lines.

Outraged! Outraged that he is apparently unable

Can you relate? I know I’ve been there. I see Christians misbehaving . . . I see undeserved tragedies come in people's lives . . . I see messes in my own life that defy my efforts to clean them up . . . and I find myself caterwauling to the heavens with my fur raised. “What’s the matter with you, Lord? Can’t you see how wrong this is? Can’t you see the right thing to do here? Why aren’t you acting? Why aren’t you setting things straight? Where are you??” 

There is much that is not ideal . . . Our demands for perfection turn us into self-righteous judges of the creativity of God and try to make ourselves God’s tutor.

Self-righteous judges. God’s TUTOR. Meow. My feline tendencies shame me.

I try to give myself some grace. Cuz y’all, I’ve dealt with some crap; I’ve got some serious questions for the Almighty someday. Why did you allow that? Why did it continue for so long? Why such collateral damage? What possible good did that accomplish? WHY? I’m less cattish with my maker now than I’ve been in the past, but if I’m honest, it’s mainly because I don’t let myself think the questions for very long.

However, the puppy in me sees the good place I’m in now and knows I didn’t get here on my own. It’s a New Year, and I look back on the first few posts I wrote on this blog last January and thank the Lord that he continues to work on me. I'm quite sure, if I'd been sovereign over the world, I'd have done things differently in the last couple decades. But who's to say my life and the world would be better today? For all I know, I could have screwed everything up worse.

He is God, and I am not. I grow increasingly grateful for that grace.


Comments

  1. Good stuff! The straight-line quote, by the way, is from Martin Schleske in one of my new favorite books, The Sound of Life's Unspeakable Beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION