BEING Saved

So, here is an interesting thought I heard sometime over the summer: salvation in the early church was not about going to heaven.

And that’s a rather bizarre concept to those of us who grew up in evangelical churches which were ALL about getting people to heaven. Pray the prayer and receive the get-out-of-hell-free card. It may come as quite a shock to many of the churched from my generation, but those first people to be called Christian would probably be confused by what is labeled as The Gospel these days.

I mean, yes, they were aware that when they got “saved”, they would end up in heaven after they died. But that was not why they chose Jesus as their Lord. It had very little to do with where they were going to end up for eternity. They were grateful for that gift, of course, but that wasn’t the focus.

It was not about getting saved. It was about BEING saved. Like, for right now

This was a rather foreign concept to my well-churched young self. And I’m still working on understanding it. It’s tough because we have to walk that scary little line between working OUT your salvation, which Paul exhorts us to do, and working FOR your salvation, which is not the idea at all.

Consider, for example, the spiritual disciplines – practices known for centuries but made popular again by people like Richard Foster. These are practices that shape who we are in Christ. But we sometimes turn them a checklist to earn our spot at the heavenly gates. And that’s very much not how this works.

That said, I admit that I find the spiritual disciplines fascinating . . . but a bit formal and stuffy in how they are usually presented. I find myself looking for ways to “put on Christ” that are more ordinary. More real-lifey.

Like, smiling. Intentionally. Not the cheesy, fake smile we are so familiar with, but looking for the positive in things and feeling genuine appreciation in that. And then allowing my face to express how appreciative I am. Is putting on a smile putting on Christ? Of course! Believe it or not, I bet Jesus smiled most of the time.

Another one: talking to God casually and frequently. If we are encouraged to refer to the Almighty God as our Abba Father – that is, our “Daddy” – I suspect that means talking to him like a daddy. Eating cheesecake and saying, “Oh, Jesus! This is SO GOOD!”—just like I would say to a friend sitting by me. Seeing the mass of wasps hanging around the garage door and saying, “Good grief, Lord! Where did those come from? What do I need to do about that?” And then listening. Hearing about the marriage struggle my friends are having and immediately – just as if he were standing there hearing it with me, which he is – saying, “Oh, Father – help them. HELP THEM. Help me help them.”

Again, that’s Christ-like. Yes, I’m sure Jesus prayed the formal prayers he was taught in synagogue – but I also believe he shared a joke with his heavenly Daddy quite frequently, too.

One more real-lifey spiritual discipline: Choosing to do the difficult right thing rather than the easy wrong thing. Specifically. Intentionally. Making the decision ahead of time and then just doing it. I’m not going to open that app on my phone today. I’m just NOT. I’m not going to eat dessert after lunch and I’m not going to have two desserts after dinner. End of story. (Yeah, that one’s an “ouch” for me.)

That is a means for becoming like Christ. For shaping who I am in Him. For BEING saved.

I’m still going to heaven even if I eat three bowls of chocolate chips before I go to bed. (And thank you, Jesus, that I am, or I’d really be in trouble.) But that’s not the issue. The issue is that when I eat those chocolate chips, I’m giving in to desires that are not God’s desires for me. Those are desires that Jesus died to save me from – not in heaven, but here on earth. He has better for me. Yes, Gwen, there are better things than delicious dark chocolate chips. And God is longing . . . ACHEING . . . to give them to me RIGHT NOW if I will give up the lesser things.

Father – Daddy – save me. Not someday . . . save me now. For you. From myself. For your glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering and Being Remembered

Saying No to God

Mainstreams and Margins