Not With a Book

You know, I spent many years being very certain about what the Bible said about most things.

I kinda miss that.

The truth is that Bible is rather vague and unclear on some points. Even seemingly contradictory sometimes. A lot of Christianity does not want us to think that. I’ve sat through countless sermons and lessons where I’ve been told, “This isn’t confusing, folks. The Bible is abundantly clear about this topic. Only someone who doesn’t want to see the truth could think otherwise.”

But they were wrong. There are many things in the Bible that are not abundantly clear. 

The Bible is NOT abundantly clear about the role of women – in society, in church, or even in a marriage. About the value of women, yes; but one can pull all sorts of scripture out to support all sorts of different opinions on our roles. The Bible is NOT abundantly clear about homosexuality . . . about economic or political systems . . . not even about slavery. SLAVERY, people! (That’s a longer post for another day.)

I have come to understand that people can love God very sincerely and take the Bible very seriously and still read scripture very differently than I do. And I think that’s okay; in fact, I’m wondering if it isn’t even the plan.

See, here’s the thing (and I’m going to make some people nervous here . . . honestly, I’m a bit nervous myself writing it): scripture is not our sole source of spiritual truth. It is a source of truth – it is true – it is critical to the life of a believer – I’m not diminishing its importance at all. Please hear me clearly on that! But it is not the only place we are expected to go to hear the voice of God.

‘Cause, see, there’s the Holy Spirit. There is this idea that we’re supposed to be in a relationship. A relationship with God – not with a book.

I’m starting to believe that it is very possibly intentional that certain things are vague in scripture. If everything was laid out in black and white, we’d never have a question to bring to the Lord. We’d be relying on the book instead of on him. And that book would quickly become an idol, which is exactly what I think has happened for many in the faith. That certainty I had for so many years . . . it was comforting and gratifying, and it made me feel good about myself and my situation. But in the end, it may have been a hindrance to God’s will in my life.

Kenneth Leech was quoted in a book I read recently saying, “Heretics . . . reject paradox in favor of a false clarity and precision.” To deny the difficult parts of scripture is heresy. It’s playing fast and loose with the word of God. To embrace scripture requires embracing the unanswered questions as well.

That we should be called children of God (1 John) -- THAT’s the goal here. That’s his will for my life. God’s primary desire isn’t obedience from me, or correct doctrine in me; it is relationship with me. I exist to live in a lovefest with Jesus.

NOT with a book . . . no matter how holy a book it is or how bookish a woman I am.

Comments

  1. Thunderous applause here. And galaxies of prayers as we come to accept this truth. The Lutherans say, the Bible is the cradle to the Christ. The Buddhists talk about a finger pointing to the moon, point being, the finger is just a finger...the moon is a moon. The finger helps us get there, but it is not the end point. Thanks for this. It makes my heart happy to hear you say this and you know why.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION