Thoughts While Driving to Abilene, Texas to Pack Up the Young ‘Un

Is it going to rain on us? Again? Seriously, again?? What up with all this rain, Jesus?

-      Chill out, mutt. The dog is flitting about in the back of the car, giddy with excitement. And yes, I realize that he probably should be in the crate while we’re traveling, but people . . . he hates the crate. I love the dog. I don’t have the heart. He’ll lay down soon enough.

-      In two miles, turn right on route 87. Thank you, ma’am. My GPS lady has a British accent. I have no idea how that happened, but I love her. I’ve named her Dame Maggie. Lead on, m’lady.

-      The wildflowers are mostly gone. Sigh. We’re making this drive a couple weeks late this year, and the flower show is past its prime.  

    -  The world turned upside do-o-own . . . The eldest is confusing this song with “My Shot”. Wait, what?!? CHILD! Fifteen years ago, I would have taken that as a cue to create a curriculum for her around the show Hamilton. It would have covered Early American History, Theatre, Musical History, Poetic Devices, Character and Biblical Studies . . . man, I miss homeschooling. I wonder if I can talk Crestmont into letting me create an elective course like that.

-        -  Fifteen years ago? Yep – she’d have been ten. Wow.

-      What’s the speed limit here . . . I never know out in the middle of nowhere Texas . . .

-      Can I have this dance . . . can I have this da-a-ance? My favorite song from the High School Musical saga. So sweet.

-      Fredericksburg – love this place. There are two or three sweet little German hill country towns we drive through on this route . . . with adorable downtown shops, courthouses, town squares . . . I could almost live here. Almost.

-      The eldest is digging through my CDs, annoyed that I apparently took out of the van all the ones she likes. Sorry, hon. This is MY vehicle. My music.

-      There’s always going to be another mountain – I’m always gonna wanna make it mo-o-ove . . . Oh, Miley. Years ago, I prayed that you wouldn’t crash and burn and take a whole generation of young girls down with you. Still praying . . .

-      And the sun is out, hallelujah! Forgive my grumbling, Lord. I humbly put the meteorological decisions back in your capable hands where they belong.

-      It’s not one or the other . . . it’s hard truth and ridiculous grace to be known – fully known – and loved by You. YES, Tauren. One of those songs in which I soak my heart on the bad days.

-      Dang, my back hurts already . . .

-      Okay, I love you Dame Maggie, but we’ve got to put a CD in, and that will render your lovely voice mute. We’ll talk again another time. K, my love?

-      75?? When did the speed limit go up to 75? And here I’ve been poking along the highway like a grandma . . .

-      But I’m the only one who’ll walk across a fire for you! . . . Melissa! Sing it, chica!

-      We’re going to see the youngest in Much Ado About Nothing this afternoon. Always love watching my girls on stage. She’s Conrad. Yeah, that’s a male role. Curious how they’re going to do this.

-      And now we’re to a few Whitney songs. Give me one moment in ti-i-ime . . . The eldest comments on how dramatic she is. As if this needed to be noted.

-      DANG IT! I missed that random turn in the middle of nowhere. I KNEW I would! Add fifteen minutes to our drive. Maggie is shaking her head at me in disgust.

-      Oh, there are some wildflowers – finally! Thank you, Lady Bird. This was a lovely legacy you left your state.

-      And moving on to some Celine Dion. I can barely recall, but it’s ALL coming BACK to me NO-O-O-WWW!! NOW we’re talking dramatic, my dear! This is my personal diva collection I’ve burned to a couple CDs. All the voices that I wish were mine.

-      Dude, those theater seats better be comfortable . . . I’m doing a lot of sitting here . . .

-      I think we’re doing dinner at Rosa’s Café. Guac and fresh tortillas, amigos. Things to love about Texas.

-      THE HECK!!?! Suddenly, this is a dirt road??!? What happened?? The GPS still says this is where we’re supposed to be . . . ay-yi-yi . . . this is what I get for missing that turn and having to go off route. Dame Maggie is turning me over her knee – and I deserve the whoopin’.

-      After all the stops and starts, we keep comin’ back to these two hearts . . . Cher and Peter Cetera – and I’m impressed the eldest has even heard the man’s name.

-      She tells me now about a podcast she was listening to where a woman was helping her boyfriend learn to tell the difference between Celine Dion, Cher, and Shakira when he heard them. He finally figured it out. He said, if I feel like I’m in a dream, it’s Celine Dion; if I feel like I’m in Zootopia, it’s Shakira; if I feel like my mother’s yelling at me, it’s Cher. ROFL!! Y’all! I laughed a good ten minutes at that one.

-      So, a play this afternoon. Guac at Rosa’s. Packing this evening. And my ex is going to be there for all that. That’ll be okay. Yeah, it’s fine. Everything’s fine. I have chocolate.

-      Hey, wait. Cruise control! Where is my brain? Why did take it me three stinkin’ hours to remember this wonderful invention . . .  but I’d better wait until I’m off the dirt road to employ that.

-      Which is NOW. Glory -- back on track. Twenty miles from Abilene. And my baby girl on stage. And a quiet hotel room. And guac at Rosa’s.

Only one more year to make this drive. I’m gonna miss it. For reals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This One Person

Life is People-y

Hopeful Reality

INFECTION